The Christian Calling
Ephesians 1:1-2 – Introduction
1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by God’s will: To the faithful saints in Christ Jesus at Ephesus.
– A Large City
– Centrally located in Asia Minor.
– Major Attraction – Temple of Artemis / Diana
– Paul’s primary church planting head quarters during his 3rd missionary journey (Church Plants: Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia, Laodicea, Colossae, & Herapolis.)
– At the end of Paul’s 2nd missionary journey Paul preached in the synagogue at Ephesus & then left Priscilla & Aquila behind to further the gospel in his absence.
– Paul’s 3rd missionary journey (Acts 18-19). Awakening occurs in Ephesus.
an apostle of Christ Jesus –
1) The term Apostle was used only for those who saw Christ in his physical form during his earthly ministry. (Paul saw Jesus on the Road to Damascus)
2) The term Apostle was used only for those who were seen as messengers of the church and the gospel of Jesus Christ
by God’s will –
at Ephesus – This Letter Is For THE LOCAL CHURCH
To the faithful saints in Christ Jesus – This Letter Is For THE WHOLE CHURCH
2 Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
A THEOLOGICAL STATEMENT –
A POWERFUL STATEMENT –