Do You Believe In The Forgiveness Of Sins?
1 John 1:5-2:3
1 John 1:5–2:2
5 This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light, and there is absolutely no darkness in him.
6 If we say, “We have fellowship with him,” and yet we walk in darkness, we are lying and are not practicing the truth.
7 If we walk in the light as he himself is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin.
1) IF WE BELIEVE IN THE FORGIVENESS OF SINS, THE FORGIVENESS OF OUR SIN WILL HAVE ON OUR LIVES.
There will be clear marks of God’s Forgiveness of sin in our lives. John describes them in V7.
1) We will in the light of God
2) We will have with one another
3) We will be of all our sins by the blood of Jesus
8 If we say, “We have no sin,” we are deceiving ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we say, “We have not sinned,” we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
2) IF WE BELIEVE IN THE FORGIVENESS OF SINS, THE TRUTH OF GOD WILL LEAD US .
1 My little children, I am writing you these things so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ the righteous one.
2 He himself is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours, but also for those of the whole world.
3) IF WE BELIEVE IN THE FORGIVENESS OF SINS, WE WILL TRUST IN OUR .
WE BELIEVE IN THE FAMILY OF GOD, THE CHURCH
WHAT IS THE ?
“a local church is a group of Christians who regularly gather in Christ’s name to officially affirm and oversee one another’s membership in Jesus Christ and his Kingdom through gospel preaching and gospel ordinances.” – Johnathan Leeman, Church Membership, p.52
The Church is…
- An – The Highest Authority on Earth
- A – The Family of God Himself
- An – The representation of God’s Kingdom on Earth
- A – Christians unified in working to build the Kingdom of God
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A CHURCH MEMBER?
- – Showing Up
- – Submitting yourself to the Lordship of Christ
- – Identifying yourself with Christ
- – Applying Spiritual Truths to you everyday life
- – Giving & Serving the body of Christ, the church
- – Displaying Christ’s love to your fellow church members & through the ministries of your church
CHURCH MEMBERSHIP IS A COVENANT RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN CHRISTIANS AGREEING TO PUSH ONE ANOTHER FURTHER IN THEIR PURSUIT OF CHRIST.
“Church membership is a formal relationship between a church and a Christian characterized by the church’s affirmation and oversight of a Christian’s discipleship and the Christian’s submission to living out his or her discipleship in the care of the church.” – Jonathan Leeman, Church Membership, p.64
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THE CHURCH?
Now the Church, which has been granted the life of Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit, is called to display the character and glory of God to all the universe, testifying in word and action to His great wisdom and work of salvation. – Mark Deaver, Marks of a Healthy Church, p.48
1 Corinthians 12:26–28
Church Members Are A Part Of A To Reach The Lost
- Church Members Survive And Thrive As One Body –
- Church Members Work As A Team For The Gospel –
1 Corinthians 13:1–3
Church Membership The Love Of Jesus To The Lost
- Church Members Love One Another –
- Church Members Love The Lost –
“The mission of the church is to make disciples, and as disciples we love and serve those around us…Our goal is to see God change lives, to raise the spiritual dead to new life in Jesus Christ. This is the transformation with which we are ultimately concerned. – Joe Thorn, The Character of the Church, p.115
WHY SHOULD I JOIN A CHURCH?
- Church Membership is Biblical – Jesus set up the church and the apostles worked their ministry through the local church.
- Church Members are God’s People – Jesus died for these people.
- Church Membership is a prerequisite for the Lord’s Supper – The Lord’s Supper is for the church to observe and celebrate as a family.
- Church Membership allows you to Represent Jesus – The church helps you affirm your fellowship and identity with Christ.
- Church Membership declares your Highest Allegiance – The church shows the world that we are following Christ before all else.
- Church Membership provides opportunity for ministry – Becoming a church member gives you opportunities to serve others as Christ has served.
- Church Membership provides solid Christian Leadership – The church provides strong Christians leadership for you to learn from and follow in your relationship with Christ.
- Church Membership structures Christian Accountability – The church gives you a place to practice biblical, wise, and loving church discipline.
- Church Membership brings Spiritual Structure – The church is a place for Christians to implement structure into their Christian life.
- Church Membership is a place for Christian Mission – The church is God’s method to reach the lost locally and globally.
“Committing to a local body is the natural outcome (of being a Christian)- it confirms what Christ has done. If you have no interest in actually committing yourself to an actual group of gospel-believing, Bible-teaching Christians, you might question whether you belong to the body of Christ at all!” – Mark Dever, Marks of a Healthy Church, p.27
July 2, 2017
July 9, 2017
June 11, 2017